ABOUT GLOBAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP WEEK
During one week in November the world spotlights how young people’s ideas can contribute to global economic development. GEW Global, which started in 2008 with the Kauffman Foundation and the UK’s Make your Mark organization, has grown to include Host Committees in over 160 countries. With the help of governments and non-government organizations, Host Countries coordinate events ranging from invention competitions to local entrepreneurship summits designed to stimulate creative solutions, jumpstart innovation and celebrate the entrepreneurial spirit, especially among young people.
The Bermuda Host Committee is made up of the Bermuda Economic Development Corporation, Youth Entrepreneurship Initiative of Bermuda (registered charity no. 616), and the Department of ICT Policy & Innovation. Formed in 2008 the Bermuda Host Committee has grown to include a working committee made up of new and seasoned entrepreneurs and representatives from the public and private sector all acting with the common goal of inspiring the new generation of entrepreneurs and creative thinkers.
Various 2017 GEW Events and Activities
- BYB – Branding Your Business Seminar – Wed, Nov 1st, 6:00pm – 8:00pm – This seminar provided entrepreneurs with tips and best practices to effectively brand a business, market the business and provide customer service.
- GEW Proclamation –Thurs, Nov 2nd – 12:00 – 2:00pm. On the steps of City Hall the Minister of Economic Development & Tourism will proclaim the month of November as Entrepreneurship Month and acknowledge 10 years of the global GEW movement. We will also have entertainment and activities during the afternoon for the public and invited guests to celebrate entrepreneurship.
- GEW Launch/Biz Camp Awards – Thurs., Nov 2nd 3:30 pm – 5:30pm. GEW Bermuda will be officially launched with the prize giving ceremony for the 2017 Department of ICT Policy & Innovation sponsored Biz Camp, facilitated by Joe Mahoney, Executive Director of Youth Entrepreneurship Initiative of Bermuda (YEI). Biz Camp is a summer camp programme, for students between the ages of 13 and 18, to help them to understand the process associated with starting a business.
- Networking Event -Bowling & Business Cards – Nov 10th 5:30pm – 8:30pm – A series of fun networking events to get entrepreneurs mingling in a fun environment. We anticipate hosting an event every Friday evening starting on Nov.10th – 24th
- Small Business Awards – Sun., Nov 12th – 5:00pm – 11:00pmThese awards will be a celebration of small business owners and local entrepreneurs. Awards will be given out for: Entrepreneur of the Year, New Business of the Year, Most Enterprising Young Entrepreneur, BEDC Client of the Year, People’s Choice.
- Entrepreneurship Education Awards – Tues., Nov 14th, 2017 6:00pm – 9:00pm – This is an annual event that celebrates graduates that participate in the BEDC coordinated entrepreneurship training throughout the year. Graduates are presented with their certificates and enjoy an evening of networking. In addition to presentations from the BEDC Chairman and Executive Director in 2016 we anticipate having an international guest speaker, to be the lead speaker for the evening.
- Rocket Pitch Competition: – Thurs., Nov 16th – 5:30 – 9:00pm – This annual GEW Event has become a staple of GEW Bermuda. Since 2008, over 100 potential entrepreneurs have entered into the competition. As a result, 25 new businesses have been launched so far. Bermudians seeking to launch a new venture deliver a seven-minute business pitch on their creative business idea in an attempt to win a comprehensive start-up package of cash and services. The business ideas range from new tourism/hospitality products, Pitch Pink to technology ideas, Pitch Tech, concepts specifically tailored for a local Bermuda business, Pitch Town and in 2016 we launched the Pitch Green category that focuses on the green industry. Winners in this category are automatically entered into to global Future Agro Challenge. This year we have added the Youth Pitch category for students up to age 18.
- Women in Entrepreneurship Day – Friday, Nov 17thThrough the US Consulate General’s Office’s IIP Speakers Programme we will seek to bring in an entrepreneur in celebration of Women in Entrepreneurship on Friday, Nov. 17 with a breakfast workshop. Thereafter we look forward to hosting a select few women at the Consul General’s residence for an intimate luncheon. Invitees to the luncheon will include W.O.M.B awards finalists.
- Breakfast Seminar “Can You have it All” – Featuring international special guest, Monica Dodi – 8:30 – 11:00am
- Luncheon with US Consulate General – 12:30 – 2:30pm
- TechAwards Cocktail Reception: – Tuesday, Nov. 21st 5:00pm – 7:00pm
TechAwards started as the Technology Innovation Awards in 2006 and was successfully amalgamated with GEW in 2013, only to become a star event during the week. This year we will celebrate 10 years of offering the TechAwards locally. TechAwards aims to expand the reach and knowledge of technology in Bermuda. It does so by heavily involving the public who is asked to nominate Bermudian innovators who should be applauded for a development that enhances our ability to achieve better results, whether individually or as a community.
- Do What I Say, Not What I Did – Wed., Nov 22nd – 12:30pm – 1:30pm –Entrepreneurs share their stories and provide best practices for starting an online business
For the full list of all GEW events, log on to www.gew.bm
Bermuda Economic Development Corporation (BEDC) is Bermuda’s premier source of free confidential business advice for entrepreneurs. The mission is to serve Bermuda’s local business community with the highest degree of professionalism by providing, authoritative business advice; counsel and loan guarantee support. Bermuda Business Starts Here! For more information visit www.bedc.bm.