MINISTERS AND DIGNITARIES HELP SUCCESSFULLY LAUNCH GLOBAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP WEEK IN BERMUDA
HAMILTON, BERMUDA, 6 November 2017 – On November 2nd on the steps of City Hall, The Minister of Economic Development & Tourism, The Hon. Jamahl Simmons, JP, MP, proclaimed November 13 – 20th and as Global Entrepreneurship Week and the entire month of November as Entrepreneurship Month in Bermuda.
Global Entrepreneurship Week is a worldwide initiative that has grown to have over 160 host countries participate, 30,000 partner organizations that plan thousands of activities to engage millions of people.
The Minister stated that “Through the work of the BEDC, as the GEW host organisation, in partnership with the Department of ICT Policy & Innovation and the Youth Entrepreneurship Initiative of Bermuda, GEW has grown significantly. In 2008, the host committee organised 6 events with 4 partners, and roughly 100 participants. Last year there were over 40 events, 30 partners, 5000 participants, and over 35,000 people reached. This is a magnanimous feat for this small Island of Bermuda and shows what partnering to deliver on a common objective can achieve. This year the Host Committee has added some exciting new events which I encourage you all to participate in.”
At the proclamation event, the public was treated to an opening from the Town Crier and a welcome from Mayor Charles Gosling. Joining the Mayor and Minister Simmons on the stage were other dignitaries and sponsors, including Camille Hayley, representing the US Consul General’s Office; Pat Phillip-Fairn, Chief Product & Experiences Officer for the BTA, Dr. Marisa Stones, Director of the Department of ICT Policy & Innovation; Korrin Lightbourne, Marketing & Community Outreach Coordinator for the Chamber of Commerce; Joe Mahoney, Executive Director of the Youth Entrepreneurship Initiative of Bermuda and Linda Cook, entrepreneur and owner of Little Longtails. Those seated represented the partnership that has been formed across key organizations in an effort to support and encourage entrepreneurship.
- GEW Proclamation – Thursday, Nov 2nd – 12:00 – 2:00pm. This will take place on the steps of City Hall with the Minister of Economic Development Tourism proclaiming the month of November as Entrepreneurship Month and acknowledge 10 years of the global GEW movement. We will also have entertainment and activities during the afternoon for the public and invited guests to celebrate entrepreneurship.
- GEW Launch/Biz Camp Awards – Thursday, Nov 2nd 4:00 pm – 6:00pm. GEW Bermuda will be officially launched with the prize giving ceremony for the 2017 Biz Camp, facilitated by Joe Mahoney, Executive Director of Youth Entrepreneurship Initiative of Bermuda (YEI). Biz Camp is a summer camp programme, for students between the ages of 13 and 18, to help them to understand the process associated with starting a business. The top BizPlans will be presented by winning participants and prizes will be awarded..
- Entrepreneurship Education Awards – , Nov 14, 2017 6:00pm – 8:00pm This is an annual event that celebrates graduates that participate in the BEDC coordinated entrepreneurship training throughout the year. Graduates are presented with their certificates and enjoy an evening of networking. In addition to presentations from the BEDC Chairman and Executive Director in 2016 we anticipate having an international guest speaker, to be the lead speaker for the evening.
- Women in Entrepreneurship Day – Friday, Nov 17th Through the US Consulate General’s Office’s IIP Speakers Programme we will seek to bring in an entrepreneur in celebration of Women in Entrepreneurship on Friday, Nov. 17 with a breakfast workshop. Thereafter we look forward to hosting a select few women at the Consul General’s residence for an intimate luncheon. Invitees to the luncheon will include W.O.M.B awards finalists.Breakfast Seminar/Workshop – 8:30 – 11:00am Luncheon with US Consulate General – 12:30 – 2:30pm
- Rocket Pitch Competition & Awards: – Thurs., Nov 16th – 5:30 – 9:00pmThis annual GEW Event has become a staple of GEW Bermuda. The best business ideas in tourism/hospitality products, Pitch Pink technology ideas, Pitch Tech, a local Bermuda business, Pitch Town and the green industry Pitch Green category and the Youth Pitch will be contested at this event. Winners will be announced at the conclusion followed by a cocktail reception.
- Educational Workshops – In addition to the events above, there will be several workshops held to correspond with the week – topics include but not limited to: ecommerce, women entrepreneurs, and youth entrepreneurship. Seminars:
- BYB – Brand Your Business – Wed., Nov 1st 6:00 – 8:00pm
- Do What I Say, Not What I Did – Entrepreneurs share their stories and provide best practices for starting an online business – Wed., Nov 22nd from 12:30pm – 1:30pm
- Bowling & Business Cards (New Networking Event) – Nov 17th 6:00pm – 9:00pm – A series of fun networking events to get entrepreneurs mingling in a fun environment. We anticipate hosting an event every Friday evening starting on Nov.3rd – 24th
- Small Business Awards – Sat., Nov 18th – 4:00pm – 7:00pmThese awards will be a celebration of small business owners and local entrepreneurs. Awards will be given out for: Entrepreneur of the Year, New Business of the Year, Most Enterprising Young Entrepreneur, BEDC Client of the Year, People’s Choice.
- 10th Anniversary TechAwards Presentations & Reception: – Tuesday, Nov. 21st 5:00pm – 7:00pmThe Bermuda Technology Innovation Awards will be presented at a cocktail reception celebrating the 10thAnniversary of the TechAwards.