What is the Rocket Pitch Competition?
What does a budding entrepreneur do when they have a great idea, but no capital to get their idea started? They enter the BEDC Rocket Pitch Competition!
The Rocket Pitch Competition was launched in 2008 as part of the inaugural Global Entrepreneurship Week, a weeklong celebration to inspire, mentor and engage the public around all things entrepreneurial. This Island-wide business plan competition is a chance for emerging entrepreneurs to submit a plan to launch an enterprise providing products or services to both local and global challenges of any type.
Over the past eleven years, the Rocket Pitch Competition has helped entrepreneurs to launch or expand over twenty businesses. Last year, the competition was sponsored by, the BEDC, The Bermuda Tourism Authority and the Department of ICT Policy & Innovation and Youth Entrepreneurship Initiative of Bermuda who together provided funding for entrepreneurs in five business categories: Pitch Town (local focus), Pitch Pink (Tourism focus), Pitch Tech (technology focus) Pitch Green (green industry focus) and Youth Pitch (students up to 18 years old).
How Does it Work?
The framework of the Rocket Pitch presentation is simple, the presenter has five minutes to tell a story to potential investors and then respond to questions. The main goal of a Rocket Pitch is to illustrate a business opportunity. A pitch needs to be clear and straightforward and not overly technical. Those that enter the Competition and make it to the finals receive a cash award that has ranged from $1,000 – $3,000.
Submit Your Pitch
- Step One: Have a great idea!
- Step Two: Download your Pitch Kit!
- Select the pitch category that best fits your business idea.
- Step Three: Submit Your Pitch!
- Fill in your pitch kit.
- Deadline: 5pm Monday, Nov. 2
Coaching & Preliminary Rounds
- All submissions are reviewed and entrepreneurs are asked to participate in the preliminary rounds.
- Preliminary Rounds: BEDC Offices, Nov 5 – Nov 12
- Entrepreneurs are asked to pitch their ideas in a closed door preliminary process that determines if you make it to the Rocket Pitch Finals.
Rocket Pitch Competition Finals
- Wednesday, Nov 18 at Hamilton Princess Hotel from 5:30pm – 9:00pm
- Finalists will have 5mins only to pitch their idea in front of a live audience and a panel of judges made up of industry experts and potential investors.
- Winners will be announced and awards will be presented.
Rocket Pitch Categories
All submissions will be added into one of the six different categories below.
Everyone is a winner in the Rocket Pitch Competition. A 1st and 2nd prize is awarded in each of the six categories.
1st Place Winners receive $3,000 + Startup Services Package
2nd Place Winners receive $1,000 + Startup Services Package
People’s Choice Award: At the Rocket Pitch Finals the audience will vote for their favorite pitch. The finalist with the most votes will be given the People’s Choice Award.
In addition to cash funding, winners receive up to $1,000 in support services (Startup Services Package) donated by industry partners that ranged from marketing, legal, accounting, PR to general advice and guidance to help their businesses get started.
The Rocket Pitch has become an annual event that people look forward to every year and it continues to create opportunities for new ideas to be realized. This cooperative effort is made possible through public and private partnerships that lay the foundation for new entrepreneurs.